Hello Bays Members!
Spring is finally here and Bays is already looking forward to another great year of soccer and unwavering team spirit. Here are some key updates to keep you all informed.
Bays United Annual General Meeting:
All members are invited to attend the Bays United FC Board AGM on Wednesday, June 21st at the Oak Bay High Neighbourhood Learning Centre, at 7PM. Come and meet the Board, learn about future plans for the club and vote in new/returning members. The agenda for this year’s AGM will be posted on our website a few weeks ahead of the meeting.
As mentioned in my last update, I will be stepping down from the role of President, and there will be other board positions to be voted in at the June AGM. In my view, the board and executive has serious momentum with engaged, smart and supportive participants who collectively provide a wonderful vision for the club. I would like to see this continue to grow, so please consider a role in helping to provide leadership for this great club. If you are interested in the President role, please contact me. To learn more about other available board positions, contact Derek Trimmer, or Steve Cockayne.
As you may know, our Registration Coordinator, Lisa Muirhead, has taken another position. Her last day with Bays is today (May 12, 2017). We wish her well and thank her for her dedication and commitment over the past four years. We are pleased to announce the new Registration Coordinator for Bays is Kari-Lynn Murphy. She brings a wealth of relevant knowledge and experience to the club, having worked for the past 5 years with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club in a very similar role. Please join us in welcoming Kari-Lynn to the Bays United family. We look forward to transitioning her into the role soon.
Bays will be participating in the Oak Bay Tea Party parade on Saturday, June 3rd. This is a fun event and especially popular with our younger players. If you are interested in carrying the club banner or want to volunteer to help with this event, please contact Bruce Holms. More details will be posted on the club website.
In order to improve programming and facilities at Bays, we are interested in expanding our fundraising initiatives—either through additional events or corporate sponsorships. The fundraising Committee is seeking input on these initiatives as well as potential corporate sponsors. If you are interested in either, please contact me.
Youth League End-of-Season Celebration:
This year’s Youth League End-of-Season Celebration had a new format and a new location. Despite a few wrinkles, the event went off well and we managed to stay on time. Thank you to the many organizers and volunteers who helped pull this fun event together, and congratulations to all award winners, coaches and teams. If you have any feedback or suggestions for next year’s event, please send us your thoughts.
Registration and Assessments:
Registration for 2017/18 House (U6-U11) and Youth (U12-U18) leagues is now open, with fees remaining the same as last year. Youth assessments are almost complete and House assessments will begin in early-September.
- Congratulations to the U13 Girls Gold (McKee) team who played Richmond in a tough match that came down to a tense shootout to win the Coastal Cup finals on May 7th.
- Good luck to the four Bays teams who will be attending Provincials in July: U13 Girls Gold (McKee), U16 Boys Gold (Kolshi), U16 Boys VIPL (Kolshi) and U18 Boys VIPL (Daniel). This is a record year for Bays representation, which speaks to the calibre of soccer at our club.
- Congratulations to the successful District Cup winners: Boys U13 Gold (Falzon), Girls U14 Gold (Cockayne), Girls U16 Silver (Trimmer), Girls U16 Gold (Stebeck) and Girls U18 Gold (Edwards/Leal). Excellent play all around.
- A big round of applause also goes out to LISA Cup winners: Boys U16 Silver (Pilling) and Girls U13 Silver (McGee) for their well-earned wins following a strong season.
- To stay up to date with club news and success stories, including how Bays teams are faring in tournaments this summer, ‘Like’ Bays Facebook Page.
- Do you have news or images you’d like to share on Facebook or our website? Contact Communications@baysunited.ca.
Bays United FC President